Monday 18 June 2012

Recovery: Totally had enough of all this bollix!!

The title says it all.  It's my 4th week anniversary of my heart attack and I was blue lighted again into the Royal United Hospital 5 nights ago.  I respect doctors but I also trust my own intelligence and this is where I start to get a little angry....

Some facts before I close my references to all things heart related.  I don't have heart disease.  My heart attack was essentially caused by a birth defect.  I don't have high cholesterol.  My cholesterol is 4.3.  I don't have high blood pressure - in fact it is low naturally.  Given all that why oh why was I given beta blockers, statins, ACE inhibitors etc etc?  Why?  I asked this before I left The Bristol Heart Institute and against my better judgement I went along with the drug regime even after several heated arguments with the good doctors and nurses.  I didn't want to be there so I left early.  They didn't like that either.  In fact I don't think they liked me at all.

Well bugger me.  Guess what?  5 nights ago I had to ring 999 to get my ass to hospital because I became close to loosing conscious after taking my night time pills.  A reaction to the pills that I don't need.  To cut a long story short I am now off all these drugs with the exception of a quarter of an Aspirin tablet and a low dose "super aspirin" that I have agreed to take for life, when available (if i run out away I'm not going to loose sleep over it).

I feel fuckin great!  My heart feels like mine again and I'm sleeping better.  Today, my 4th week anniversary I have just gone for a run after a light shoulder session with the weights.  I feel strong and in control of my life once again.  And I am strong too.  30 press ups were easy and a quarter mile run with a walking segment in the middle has got me a sweat on.  I haven't smoked tobacco for 4 weeks and this has made an incredible difference.  No coughs, no wheezes, well worth it to be honest.  I think about a ciggy every once in a while and in the right circumstances I will probably have one but that wasn't yesterday or the day before.  Nor is it today.  I'm going to treat my smoking that way and it is very easy!  Want to give up smoking?  Have a heart attack!  It becomes a doddle then!

I have had several conversations with friends this week.  Spoke to Ginny for the first time in over a year.  I always miss my opportunities with her.  I always assume these days that nothing will come of it so I don't really try to be nice!  Honesty is often not nice.  Anyway, I'm sure you are doing all sorts of Internet dating and playing with crystals and tarot cards and stuff.  I got the feeling babe from your voice that things arnt quite going to plan though.  I hope I'm wrong.

Popped in to see my old boss Sarah in Melksham Blue Pool and formally resigned from being a pool lifeguard and I think - since I have got off the shit the hospital told me to take - I was a little hasty.  Nevermind, it's done, but I think I will be back.  In our brief chat she asked me, almost like she was talking to a naughty boy (she is a whipper snapper at 40), are you going to slow down and I said yes.  That was me on the drugs.  Sorry Sarah I'm even better than I thought so strike that conversation.

My diet was excellent before but I want to drop my cholesterol into the 3somethings.  That is what a statin can do - at least a point drop.  I think I can do better through minor changes to my diet.  I don't believe in taking drugs when there is a natural solution.  I think I should qualify the use of the word natural.  I don't mean HOMOEOPATHIC by using the word "natural". If you are really ill you trust these remedies at your peril!  I've tried them, and rekki and reflexology etc etc and these "treatments" simply don't work for me.  There always has been a more effective option available.

With all this going on I managed to get a weekend in at the Sundowners Motorcycle Club rally.  Charmaigne made the suggestion and with Buzz her close mate we got totally shitfaced last Saturday night.  Char dances and I duly gave my best headbanging and air guitaring to the live bands and heavy rock disco.  There were also pole dancers.  I like pole dancers and they seemed to like me!  God, I need to get laid....








4 weeks on. Off the heart drugs. Off tobacco. Back to exercise.  My temperamental back is feeling good and quite strong.  Where was I in my life prior to my heart attack?  Ah yes, walking across northern Spain; The Camino.  Is it possible this year?  It has got to be worth a go.  What else have I got to do?  Never give in.  Always push.  One day we will all be old and incapable of doing everything we want to do.  For me that day is not today or tomorrow....it's a long way off.  When it comes however I will enjoy it because I know I tried to do things right and worthwhile.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment