Monday 2 May 2011

Florence - First thoughts. 1st May to 2nd May 2011

As soon as I took a pain killer and showered I went for a strole.  I was road weary and hadn't slept for 36 hours but the crash and burn didn't feel imminent so a beer was in order.  DO NOT HAVE A BEER IN A BAR THAT OVER LOOKS THE RIVER!  I had 2 beers.  20 euros!!!!  Lesson 1 learned.  This city is stunning.  The Italians are great.  Chatty, use English and love to do so and...well... they are silly!  Love it.

On the way back after a very entertaining walk around the city I began to walk back to the hotel and came across a small Irish bar in a back street with the Arsenal/Man Utd game on.  Double Rum and Coke 5euros - i'm on the firm.  After another I began to chat to (not "up") the bar maid and before long I had a reserved table at "Tino's".  A small place a little off the beaten track and I was going with Derrick.  Derrick was watching the match and is an ex-brit living in Florence.  Now an American citizen we had an excellent dinner, good wine and returned to the Irish bar where we met Gordon.  Gorden is an American defence attorny on holiday with 8 members of his family.  Inevitably we got shitfaced.  Then the waiters from the restaurant rocked up and we all started to talk drunk bollocks.  Brilliant!

Getting back to the hotel at 1.30 am I was shattered, and pissed.  Nice.  We are meeting up again tonight for dinner and, if last night is anything to go by, the group distruction of a bottle of Mount Gay dark rum.  Now i'm travelling.

I'm going to have another night here.  Today I missed breakfast and decided to rest a little and use the hotel gym and of course write this.  It's 4.15 pm local and I haven't eaten so I'm off out with the camera before the nights activities.  More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment